Thursday, July 05, 2007

۞ ARCTURUS is his other name,— ۞

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~­*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Part Two: Nature
.............XX.............
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

ARCTURUS is his other name --
I'd rather call him Star!
It's very mean of Science
To go and interfere!

I slew a worm the other day --
A Savant passing by
Murmured "Resurgam" -- Centipede!
Oh Lord -- how frail are we!
I pull a flower from the woods --

A monster with a glass
Computes the stamens in a breath --
And has her in a class!
Whereas I took the Butterfly

Aforetime in my hat --
He sits erect in Cabinets --
The Clover bells forgot.

What once was Heaven
Is Zenith now --
Where I proposed to go
When Time's brief masquerade was done
Is mapped and charted too.

What if the poles should frisk about
And stand upon their heads!
I hope I'm ready for the worst --
Whatever prank betides!

Perhaps the Kingdom of Heaven's changed --
I hope the Children there
Won't be new fashioned when I come --
And laugh at me -- and stare --

I hope the Father in the skies
Will lift his little girl --
Old fashioned -- naught -- everything --
Over the stile of Pearl!

By Emily Dickinson
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~­*~*~*~*~*~*~*